Monday, March 21, 2011

bye bye Franz Josef

Today we packed up all the gear in the Mighty Triton (our rented vehicle from Uni) and said goodbye to Franz Josef. It took quite a bit of time and jigsaw puzzling to fit all the gear into the Triton. Most of our gear is wet at this point, so we'll have to dry it out when we get back to Wellington. I think I have accepted that I may permanently smell like mildew for the rest of my time here in New Zealand.

We left Franz Josef in the early afternoon and headed to Brian's house to drop off a bit of the gear. He has acquired quite a bit of the research gear at this point as he lives so close to the glaciers, and it is cheaper to leave the gear there than to ship, fly, or otherwise lug it around. Afterwards, Karen, Chris (one of Karen's friends that we acquired along the way), and I were off road tripping!

We first stopped by the beach in Hokitika and went for a short stroll. Karen and I have wanted to have a photo shoot with the Triton on the beach since we got to Franz Josef, so we decided to take a few photos. I am almost too embarrassed to post this one...

At the beach in Hokitika
We then stopped by Pancake Rocks around dinner time and had a beautiful sunset picnic. As their name suggests, the rocks look like a stack of pancakes and strangely made me miss maple syrup. There are also a couple blowholes around Pancake Rocks where the ocean water gets forced up in a jet.


Pancake Rocks
Pancakes. Per New Zealand ridiculousness, this view had a sign in front of it showing what each of these rocks looked like. The middle and tallest one, for example, was a man with spiky hair (the grass).

Karen and Chris advertise our wonderful dinner. Mmm Tasty Cheese, avocados, hummus, and capsicum.


No comments: