Sunday, April 10, 2011

a running adventure

Running seems to be the theme of my life at the moment. It's a great way to explore a new place, and Welly is full of amazing trails. Every day I stumble upon new trails that I want to explore, and well, it's a never ending cycle.

Today I decided to bring my camera along for the run. So, here is a recap of my run in photo form:

In Welly, if you see a grassy hill you want to run up, you can be pretty sure there are trails. You just have to find them. Today I ran up the hills in this picture. The trail at the top of the hills is the Skyline Track.
Some bizarre (but pretty mushrooms) in Wellington. I am always excited to see these on my runs but think it's probably best that I don't eat them until I know they aren't poisonous. 
Beautiful woody single-track trails on my climb up the hill.
Wallah! I can see the summit in the distance across the grassy field.
I still lack maturity at times. This smiley face made me laugh -- cow dung is perhaps the biggest drawback of some of the trails in NZ. I haven't stepped in one of these yet (knock on wood).
View along the Skyline Track
The track follows dirt roads for the majority of its length. These roads pass through various pastures and cow gates.
Beautiful views with power lines and wind turbines in the distance
You see this sign almost anywhere you enter into the bush. Possums are a huge problem in NZ as they eat large quantifies of vegetation, and the only way to get rid of them is with poison. 
That's it for now! Hopefully I'll have more running adventure posts in the future, assuming I bring my camera.

No comments: