Sunday, January 30, 2011

kia ora from Wellington!

I made it! I arrived in Wellington on Friday morning exhausted and stiff from 22 hours cramped in an airplane seat. Three days later and my body is finally starting to feel normal again. After departing the plane, I made a short excursion to the Fulbright office for tea and then headed to campus to meet my advisor. He handed me a paper that his lab group was discussing in two hours, and my muddled mind attempted to understand it. I think I reread every sentence at least twice as I was so exhausted. After the meeting, I opened a bank account, met up for dinner with some other Fulbrighters, and went to bed around 9pm. And yes, it was still light out when I fell asleep. I'd call that a successful first day in Welly!

The past two days I have done my best to recover from jet lag and have started looking for a flat. Last night I went to a party at another master's students' flat and stayed awake until 10:30 pm before crashing. I guess at least it's better than the night before...


Today I explored the city a bit, including hiking up Mt. Vic, a local hill that overlooks the city. That's it, as I need to go meet some potential flatmates! Hopefully more will come soon when I have a bit more time and my mind is over the jet lag.


Beach at Oriental Bay












View of Wellington from Mt. Vic














No comments: