Saturday, April 23, 2011

run out to Red Rocks

Today a friend and I ran from the Northland shops, near my current flat, out to Red Rocks on the South Coast. First, we started up Wrights Hill near Zealandia and then took a narrow, steep trail down towards Makara Peak. Unfortunately it wasn't quite in the right direction, so after another two hours of unnecessary wandering around Makara Peak and nearly getting taken out by a few mountain bikers, we found a dirt road heading in the desired direction. Shortly thereafter, we ended up at the beach! A short run along the beach landed us in Owhiro Bay and then in Island Bay, where we took the bus back to Wellington.

Tree on Makara Peak. You can tell this area is maintained for mountain biking. 

First view of the ocean on our run. For a little while, I was wondering if we would ever make it to the coast! Right around this area we also started to hear gun shots from some guys shooting in an ATV park in the valley.

Most of the run involved dirt roads. A bit farther up this road, there was an anchor along the side of the road and a picnic table. Unfortunately the wind was blowing so bad that I could barely stand up and decided it wasn't worth the risk of pulling out my camera to take a picture of another bizarrely located bench in New Zealand.

Shortly after we reached the beach, a nasty storm blew through the valley we had just left and made some beautiful rainbows! That's what I call perfect timing.

Where Red Rocks gets its name from! It's hard to see in this image, but the rocks are red, I promise.

Red Rocks is also known for its seal colonies.

No comments: